I Was Thinking About Something Else

That pretty much sums up my life nowadays. I will be doing something, walking into a room or driving, and I will go askew. Someone will inevitably ask at that same moment, "What are you doing?". Which will confuse me and I can only respond, "Yeah, well...I was thinking about something else".

(formerly A Connecticut Yankee)

Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

People you should read

Sunday, January 22, 2006

"Take five monkeys, a cage, a banana, string, and some stairs"

I generally don't like room temperature, except when it's my food. I guess you could class me as a tepid kinda guy. I really like only a few things in the extreme. I am not drunk at the moment, for which I fear of what I'll have the gumption to claim. Nothing outlandish like, "Jennifer Lopez? oh yeah, did her. Had her when she was good."
I confess that I've only read a few other writers recently and I should probably axe half my 'You Must Read These People'list, because I don't read those people hardly and it's not fair to string you all along like that. Not because they're not good people, but it's just misrepresentaion on my part.

I hope this entry or any other of my entries isn't summed up with, "Oh, he's just being a whiney crybaby, boofuckin'hoo." I am going to attempt an unflattering stab at concluding that maybe there is some depression driving my current state of affairs. Not like Clinical Depression, but rather more like 'C'mon! it's time to get it together! It sucks because you're letting it suck. Stop it!' So on, etc.
You have to know that there are things (big things) in your life that you don't want to do because you're afraid of the consequences. So what you wind up doing is nothing and making everything bad. I believe that what people fear most in making big life decisions is someone coming along and telling you, "Man, were you selfish on that one, and for what? It was a dumbfuckin' choice to begin with that you never shoulda gone with." Hurting others is the big thing. Innocents, if you will. How does anyone make big decisions. sheesh.

The entry title refers to my favorite anecdote about how, in an organizational behavior model, policies form and perpetuate. It is a classic story in which you place five monkeys in a cage with a banana hung from the ceiling on a string situated above a set of stairs that would allow the monkeys to reach the banana. When a monkey starts to climb the stairs you turn a firehose with cold water on all the monkeys. Later, when another monkey starts to climb the stairs, spray all the monkeys again. Soon, when yet another monkey tries to head up the stairs, the other monkeys will prevent him. Now, replace one monkey with a new one. The new monkey will see the banana and head for the stairs, and Without having the foggiest idea why, the other monkeys will attack him. After a second attempt and attack the first monkey knows that if he goes for the stairs, he'll be attacked. Next, replace a second monkey from the original five monkeys. The new monkey will try the stairs and be attacked by the other monkeys, including the monkey that replaced the first monkey. Again, replace a third monkey, who upon heading for the stairs will be attacked. Two of the four monkeys that attack him have no clue as to why they're not allowed on the stairs, or why they're beating up the new guy. After the fourth and fifth monkeys have been replaced, none of the original five monkeys that were sprayed with the water is left. Regardless, no monkey will climb the stairs. Why? Because as far as they know, that's the way it's always been.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home