I Was Thinking About Something Else

That pretty much sums up my life nowadays. I will be doing something, walking into a room or driving, and I will go askew. Someone will inevitably ask at that same moment, "What are you doing?". Which will confuse me and I can only respond, "Yeah, well...I was thinking about something else".

(formerly A Connecticut Yankee)

Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

People you should read

Monday, October 31, 2005

Stephen King's Women

On this, All Hallows Eve, I occasioned to see Stephen King’s Carrie on one of the cable channels that is running all horror flicks during Halloween days. Thank you Mr. King for the great women you’ve given us. Carrie was the first real book that I ever read for pleasure. I had never heard of Stephen King, and I just happened to be in a chain bookstore (first time) that had just gotten Carrie in paperback. I quite randomly picked it up, took it home and read it through in one sitting. He became my favorite author for a few reasons, one of which was that, while reading Carrie, I actually made an audible noise of disgust during the shower scene in the beginning of the story when she gets her period for the first time. The reaction to the imagery and audible comment took me by surprise and I thought, “I’ll read anything this guy writes.” So when the movie came out I saw it (fell in love with Amy Irving, although Spielberg actually nailed her) and was amazed by it.
Watching the movie again some thirty years later I see it in a completely different light knowing the career paths that people had after it. What I appreciate about it now is how outstanding Sissy Spacek was as Carrie, how rich her performance was, and how great the character she got to play was.
The same can also be said of Kathy Bates as Annie Wilkes in Misery. Oh my God, before I had seen the movie, she received the Oscar for the role. At the Academy Awards broadcast, when the clips are played showing the actors strutting their stuff, I saw her clip and I said to myself, “she’s won”. I still wince every time I see her start to swing the sledgehammer. Again, another great actress, but a great part as well.
Stephen King writes great roles for women.
Oh, Happy Halloween! And remember, don’t’ be a Halloweenie!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home