I Was Thinking About Something Else

That pretty much sums up my life nowadays. I will be doing something, walking into a room or driving, and I will go askew. Someone will inevitably ask at that same moment, "What are you doing?". Which will confuse me and I can only respond, "Yeah, well...I was thinking about something else".

(formerly A Connecticut Yankee)

Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

People you should read

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Why Believing in God is Like Being Drunk

It is about giving away responsibility for your own actions, not taking ownership for what you do and assigning it to someone else. In the case of God, it's giving the authority to do things to God and he/she being responsible for the consequences. In the case for getting drunk, you're abdicating your responsibility to yet another ethereal state that can take the blame for you if something happens.
Drinking takes away responsibility, "Oh I was drunk when I did that!", equals "Whew! that was a close one. I feel bad but I don't have to do anything about what i said or did because I was, well, y'know...drunk.
We give drinking the responsibility not unlike we give God the responsibility. While cursing the lives lost in a flood or other natural disaster we'll say,"why did that happen?" The religious response is, "Well, it's His way", so that we can accept it on some level. We justify why God let a bad thing happen with, 'it's OK, because it was God, and he takes the responsibility.'
I was wondering why people drink, generally speaking. Alcohol never gets any good press. It's always bad (save for my favorite movie Arthur) and yet intoxication has gone on since the beggining of time.
I myself am kinda torn because I love drinking. I love the feeling of totally fried/toasted, but hate the lack of control you assume while doing it. I hate giving the authority away to someone or something else, but it is nice to get away without having to pack or plan. Like religion, drinking is a very personal thing, because once you start drinking, fairly quickly you find yourself all alone inside your head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home