I Was Thinking About Something Else

That pretty much sums up my life nowadays. I will be doing something, walking into a room or driving, and I will go askew. Someone will inevitably ask at that same moment, "What are you doing?". Which will confuse me and I can only respond, "Yeah, well...I was thinking about something else".

(formerly A Connecticut Yankee)

Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

People you should read

Monday, November 22, 2004

Desperate Housewives

Angst. It’s a funny word. It gets really funny if you keep saying it over and over and over and over. Angst is also the secret weapon that drives the truly addictive unrealistic, yet somehow we have empathy for, drama series that are the nighttime better written soap operas.
Teenage angst is always a TV favorite. I chose to start this with Room 222 because it was the late sixties and this show dealt with more serious topics in a more realistic way than those that came before it. Moving into the Seventies the shows turned more family angst centered (The Waltons, Family). As I and my contemporaries were hitting our twenties in the Eighties and Nineties, suddenly the shows became about angst ridden adults trying to find there way in the world (Hometown, thirtysomething, Sisters). To be honest of all the shows, thirtysomething really was the angstyest (sp?). Special sidenote here. Nowadays it’s pretty common for the morons at the network to reveal big information in the commercial to try and snag viewers. Ex. “Next week/5 days from/3 days from/Tomorrow night/Tonight they lose one of their own”. But on the aforementioned thirtysomething there was never any mention beforehand that Gary was gonna die. AND IT WAS A GENUINE SHOCK. A major TV character was killed. Unheard of. Now, there was your entertainment.
What followed Sisters cancellation was a kind of a dry spell and then minor nighttime soaps started popping up like Party of Five and 7th Heaven. But now the angst appears to be back and in full swing with Desperate Housewives.
I only got to see the first half of the premier episode, but I thought it looked like the real deal. I’ve loved Teri Hatcher for a long time and have always wanted to see her in something where she could show range. This appeared to be it. The second episode for me was the one on just this past Sunday and I was floored by Felicity Huffman. OMG she was amazing.
I don’t know how many miles we’ll get out of the show (I fear it’s a one climax show, not unlike Twin Peaks) but for now, it is good to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home