I Was Thinking About Something Else

That pretty much sums up my life nowadays. I will be doing something, walking into a room or driving, and I will go askew. Someone will inevitably ask at that same moment, "What are you doing?". Which will confuse me and I can only respond, "Yeah, well...I was thinking about something else".

(formerly A Connecticut Yankee)

Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

People you should read

Saturday, July 31, 2004

The Village sold out just as I got there.

The Village sold out six people before I got to the ticket counter for the 12:05am show. I had two goals for my birthday, which occurred Friday. Have somebody make strawberry shortcake for me, and to see The Village. Since technically my birthday was over at 12:05am I can see why The Village didn't work out as I was now back in the non-birthday just a regular joe category without the special birthday privileges.

As I was thinking about how I was to go about doing this entry and thinking about how you are supposed to be honest and forthright in what you write. Some things came to light. As I mentioned it was my birthday yesterday. But I’m at a loss because I don't want to be negative by summing up with not happy parts, because it makes me sound like a whiny crybaby, and even if that’s true I don’t want you people to know that. And I had a good birthday dinner. And cool gifts from the family. The down parts had to do with my parenting skills. I have two teenagers, who in essence are good, but the three of us have our moments. I know I was actually worse at their age, than they are now, so I live with it. Let me tell ya, it really sucks when you have to use your birthday as a weapon. “ How about because it's my birthday…”. It should be a happy festive time, and there was that going on, but I guess in the larger picture why is there any anguish at all? I know there are literally dozens, no maybe even hundreds (ok, maybe even more than that) of teenagers who give their parents a hard time, but man it’s wearisome.
I have to put in some amusing stories about the kids so I don’t take on the ogre quality. About a year ago when my son was fourteen, he and I were walking the dog and I was ahead of him and I noticed out of the corner of my eye a small creature dart into the woods. I asked him if he saw it, and if he did if he knew what it was. His response was, “It was a chipmunk, (small pause)…or a frog”.
What? Really? That close are they in appearance and groundspeed? A chipmunk or a frog.
Several years ago, when the kids were 6 and 7 years old, we were watching The Sound of Music on TV ( I didn’t let them stay up for the whole thing because it would have been to late) and things were going along pretty well and it got to the part during a song where they had fashioned clothes out of curtains, where they were suddenly riding bikes around the countryside. Bearing in mind that everyone in the movie was bursting into song like every five minutes, when the bikes appeared my daughter exclaimed (and ‘exclaimed’ is the best word to describe it), “Where did the bikes come from? Where did they get the bikes?” Like hey, sing? Sure, do it all the time at home, work, school, on the way to the dentist!, but BIKES! Now that’s odd, where did they come from???
Good times, good times. They’re both in high school now, and things have changed. Big fight with my daughter over her being stubborn (a disadvantageous trait she gets from me) yesterday and the apologies came later as they always do and I love them both of course, and I guess I just have to wait for the teen years to be over but again, it’s wearisome.
But I did get strawberry shortcake the way I like it (the only food item I will eat until I get sick – yes that’s what I said, I love it that much...like no other) and cool gifts and I will get to see The Village, because I’m sure everybody can’t wait to hear what I think. Ha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home