I Was Thinking About Something Else

That pretty much sums up my life nowadays. I will be doing something, walking into a room or driving, and I will go askew. Someone will inevitably ask at that same moment, "What are you doing?". Which will confuse me and I can only respond, "Yeah, well...I was thinking about something else".

(formerly A Connecticut Yankee)

Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

People you should read

Thursday, August 12, 2004

Legally Stupid Drivers and the famous Funkel Brothers, Simon and Gar

I had to drive my son to upstate Massachusetts today. A round trip that should have taken between, and that’s including potty breaks, 3 to 4 hours, tops. Timing it so that I even left a little early (which in my book is usually considered a heinous act) I mounted my highway offensive and quickly engaged the cruise control at a brisk 73/74 mph (the thinking here is that both the State of Connecticut’s and Massachusetts’ finest won’t bother with the ugliness of a ticket if you’re violating the speed laws by 9mph or less).
Alas, a smooth uneventful trip was not meant to be. They came out early. Who are they you ask? You know who they are. Those numbskulls who by some freak of nature get to drive a motor vehicle. If you checked their licenses, you would see a placeholder restriction no. 5 – legally stupid. You try to cruise along making good time when they come up behind you, pretend they’re going to pass, but actually manipulate your driving by causing you to slow down or speed up because there’s just not enough room to make the moves cleanly because traffic is to heavy. We then get almost to the first major city (Hartford, CT) and some undetermined event turns the four lane highway into a pack of cars moving at showroom speed for like an hour! It also happened again in Worcester, MA (a city I have never really felt one way or the other about, but this was not helping its’ public relations).
Let me put that part of the entry on hold for a second while I talk about some else related to the trip. Recently picked up a bunch of DVD’s at Walmart for $10 each (I so love that) and in a moment of nostalgia, picked up a Best of CD of Simon and Garfunkel. I believe Paul Simon is among the elite in terms of songwriting, with Sting, Jim Morrison, Prince. That being said, the only thing of Simon’s work that I’ve purchased since 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover is Graceland. I had Simon and Garfunkel albums when I was a kid and I loved there music and would play the albums for hours on end. They broke up and I stopped listening, moving onto other music. Again, I loved their music as a kid (I was about 9 or 10 when I was under their influence) and when I saw the (reasonably priced two disc set) I felt a must have feeling and made the purchase. I played them in the car as I was coming back on the second leg of today’s Mass. Adventure, and I am thoroughly enjoying them, rediscovering how brilliant a writer Paul Simon is. Then it occurs to me as I’m stumbling down memory lane is that except for A Bridge Over Troubled Water, most of the songs are really depressing, bleak, and pretty negative. Suicide was a recurring theme, Geez. Which was one way to look at the sixties, but man, I had no idea Simon was so dark all the time he was influencing my musical childhood. Still, they are great tunes though.
Oh, and the trip, including the 7 minutes it took to drop him off, was 6 ½ hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home