I Was Thinking About Something Else

That pretty much sums up my life nowadays. I will be doing something, walking into a room or driving, and I will go askew. Someone will inevitably ask at that same moment, "What are you doing?". Which will confuse me and I can only respond, "Yeah, well...I was thinking about something else".

(formerly A Connecticut Yankee)

Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

People you should read

Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Stephen King grew up near me

True. At least part of his childhood was in Stratford, CT, one town over from where I lived. In the dedication of one of his books he thanked his brother David for holding his hand while crossing Main Street in Stratford.
At the time that I read Carrie I was not much of a reader and it was a fluke that I just happened to pick that paperback. I was hooked on King immediately and the Stratford connection was actually another draw for me to read his books initially, because I felt like I knew the places he was writing about, and actually I did.
Salem’s Lot has been running recently on TV and although I’m not a fan of vampire stories (Did see Raul Julia in Dracula on Broadway, which was very cool) I really thought it was done well.
The first time I saw it was on tape and I was at a friend’s house. I don’t remember the exact point at which this happened, probably halfway through, a tension filled moment nonetheless, a very small earthquake/tremor hit. What was scary as a movie situation was now fucked up scary. Obviously as a reasonable adult I know there would be no direct correlation between some video taped tv movie and a seismic event because if it did I would be chucklehead at a minimum but, on the other hand, it was fucked up scary. Timing is everything. We were drinking too. I don’t think I mentioned that earlier. But I digress.
Again, it has been running on tv recently and even looking at it now it doesn’t seem hokey. King movies don’t always play well for various reasons, which is sad because the characters that he writes are so real. Christine was so spooky because I knew those guys; they were my friends in high school.
For me:
My favorite book: Cujo
The book that I think is the best written: The Stand (epics really deserve some kinda nod)
Best movie version: Firestarter
The one everyone else thinks is the best movie version: The Stand (and rightfully so, the cast was excellent)
I’m gonna have to put the Dead Zone (another favorite) on tonight. Love that nutty Walken, “THE ICE WILL BREAK!”.
I love it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home