I Was Thinking About Something Else

That pretty much sums up my life nowadays. I will be doing something, walking into a room or driving, and I will go askew. Someone will inevitably ask at that same moment, "What are you doing?". Which will confuse me and I can only respond, "Yeah, well...I was thinking about something else".

(formerly A Connecticut Yankee)

Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

People you should read

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

I know I'll get at least one letter about this post, ha.

I am bored out of my skull, mostly because I'm tired (a bad way to be bored), and yet I am compelled to write. Or will it be literary spew. I don't know. More importantly I don't care.
...and I'm thinking now, "oh, how quaintly negative we are, hmmm."
So now in addition to a police action against boredom, tiredness, and the ever ongoing effort to not look like a mouth breathing idiot, well...I gotta be positive.
Shit. oh, ouch, negative attitude dammit. Oh dammit, negative again. must regain self control. Gee willikers. whew! I'm safe.
I really want to get some comments here. Hmmm, how to accomplish that. Attack a beloved figure. Right. Y'know what? Harry Potter sucks.
Okay, don't get your knickers in a bunch. All's I'm saying is, well...I myself am not a big fantasy fan. I enjoyed the movies and look forward to the next one (due out soon). But I have tried to plow through the first book without success. Don't get me wrong. I well understand the impact the series has made on the world, most especially of course in getting children to read. I said it before about having worked in a bookstore that when adults would complain about the kids making a huge mess of the children's section of the store or the magazine section or the whatever section, my words became, 'Hey who cares as long as they're reading, right?' I'm for anything that will get them to read.
Sidenote here: If you're reading this right now and you have the opportunity to consume some alcohol, please do, and maybe you could throw in a little toast for me. I don't have any right now, but I think a good stiff belt would adjust my attitude immensely. But...I digress.
With my wife, daughter, and niece, we tried very hard on Saturday night to see Shrek 2. The first evening showings were spaced 15 minutes apart in three of the 120+ movieplex, and by the time we got to the front of the ticket line the only thing left was front row of the third showing. So we went to Mean Girls instead. Excellent movie! Not the usual teen fare at all. Very smart and funny, on a level, dare I say, with Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
It was great to see SNL people doing smart comedy too. Which is not to take away from other works done by other SNL alums but, it just seems that when they graduate from SNL the jump seems to be into screwball comedy, which is not always the best way to go. Highly recommend Mean Girls though, Lindsay Lohan did an outstanding job.
Well as long as I'm on this jag...Rented a few movies this past weekend, Calendar Girls (very funny), Big Fish, and Kill Bill. I had wanted to see Big Fish for a long time because I like Tim Burton and Albert Finney. Then I thought that it faded from the movie theatres kinda fast, so then I thought, okay maybe I was wrong. Pleasant, no wait, it was a big surprise. It was amazing. Sweety posed the question the other day, "What do you do to relax?" Well, this is it! Get lost in great movies. Big Fish was great. I was just spirited away and totally wrapped in the story. All the actors did a super job. Kudos to Danny Devito in his cameo role, and I had never seen Helen Bonham Carter before in any thing. She too was amazing. As I said, I also rented Kill Bill if for nothing else I think Quentin Tarantino is one of the best dialogue writers in movie history. Up there with David Mamet. It lived up to my expectations. Tarantino is a fanatic for detail and this movie is homage to the martial arts movies of the seventies. As I was watching a scene where Uma Thurman is fighting the 'Crazy 88', I was thinking that I was getting that same rush of adrenalin heretofore not felt since watching Bruce Lee in Enter The Dragon, the definitive martial arts movie, many years ago. Once again good job Quentin.
Ah this was helpful and I don't feel as bored anymore. Thanks everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home