I Was Thinking About Something Else

That pretty much sums up my life nowadays. I will be doing something, walking into a room or driving, and I will go askew. Someone will inevitably ask at that same moment, "What are you doing?". Which will confuse me and I can only respond, "Yeah, well...I was thinking about something else".

(formerly A Connecticut Yankee)

Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

People you should read

Sunday, September 12, 2004

"Forkless Gourmet Bun Meals - Authenthic Ethnic Meals in a Bun!" and Cellular

That cracked me up. That was printed on the register coupon that pops out with your receipt when you check out at our local Super Stop & Shop. I often think to myself, "Geez, I wish somebody would invent an authentic ethnic meal that could fit in say, oh...a bun! I bet they would make a fortune if they did!" Yippee I-yoh ky-yeah! Somebody did it!
Man, again, that just so cracked me up.
But that's not why you're here. You wanted to hear about Cellular, so here we go. For our wedding anniversary we decided dinner and a movie. Ah, but what movie to go to? The choices were Vanity Fair, which had good reviews, or Cellular, which also had good reviews, but I was skeptical that it was a one note concept. Even after the intriguing previews I had seen at earlier movies and Ebert and Roeper giving 'thumbs up'. Ebert said it was ingenious, so that cinched it for us and we opted for Cellular.
It was awesome! Kim Bassinger as a highschool science teacher (as resourceful as MacGyver, and Gilligan's Island would have been rescued within a few days had she been a passenger instead of the loser Professor).
Very bad guys break in and kidnap Kim Bassinger from her home in the morning. They take her to a remote house and lock her in the attic. There is a wallphone in the attic, but before they leave her they smash it to bits and bits. They lock her in and leave to do their bad guy stuff. She starts twisting wires together until she gets someone, who turns out to be ne'er do well w/hero potential Chris Evans.
This is about the first 5 to 10 minutes of the movie and so many surprises! Most of them had to do with the wonders of cell phone technology. Extremely well acted. Everyone was believable! It was so great given the premise of a movie about a cell phone. Pace was incredible, and the implausible things worked because of how they were executed.
I don't believe it was intended but I would have to say that this movie qualifies as William H Macy's debut (with all do respect to Mystery Men) as an action hero.
I did not put any spoilers here, so go enjoy. IT IS WORTH THE PRICE OF ADMISSION.
There is someone else who needs a special mention, Rick Hoffman, who plays an obnoxious lawyer. He stole the few scenes he was in. Outstanding job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home