I Was Thinking About Something Else

That pretty much sums up my life nowadays. I will be doing something, walking into a room or driving, and I will go askew. Someone will inevitably ask at that same moment, "What are you doing?". Which will confuse me and I can only respond, "Yeah, well...I was thinking about something else".

(formerly A Connecticut Yankee)

Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

People you should read

Sunday, March 07, 2004

Early Days

I have to say now that after a few weeks of getting into this web thing, I am not overwhelmed but very awestruck at the magnitude. Thousands of weblogs! I have just been going nuts reading other journals, not necessarily for ideas (although I have been known to be ethically challenged), but for exposure to what's out there. And some of it, Geez, is really out there.

My favorite job (in the whole world, that I ever had) was a few years ago, working for a major bookstore chain. I loved it because it was a special kind of retail. It wasn't like food, which could attack patrons internally, making them the upset customer (or upchucking, as it were). It wasn't like subjective fashion (lying to ugly people that the outfit really does work, or, "no you can't return it with the big stain"). It was BOOKS. And for me it was always a matter of whomever entered the store, at a minimum, you knew they could read. Never any tension either, because it was just books. Actually, the atmosphere was great because people were glad you could find what they wanted.

I was just reading this second paragraph and trying to imagine why I brought this up, and it was, oh yeah, it was because of the good feeling surrounding the printed word, in the bookstore, and now for me on the web. Thousands of logs/journals with people communicating thoughts. Some expressing better than others, but just the fact that there is so much exchange going on is amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home